In 1880, Leadville was Colorado's largest silver camp with a population close to 50,000 residents. Leadville had several schools, five churches, three hospitals, an opera house, six banks and many businesses. There were over 100 licensed saloons and a dozen gambling halls. There were 30 mines and 10 smelters that produced $136 million in silver between 1879 and 1888. Three railroads came threw the town: the narrow-gauge Denver & Rio Grande Railroad and the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad reached Leadville on a shared track from Buena Vista in 1880.